StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$179.34

5 Donations:
$320.66

Entranced.FM (Oct-20) sonia $25.00
Death.FM (Oct-12) Burnt $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Oct-11) danico $25.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Oct-10) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Oct-1) SeclusionSolution $250.66

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Sep-18) epsi42 $10.00
Death.FM (Sep-16) DonnTD1 $29.45
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Sep-9) klingon50 $10.00
Entranced.FM (Sep-1) sonia $25.00
1980s.FM (Sep-1) SeclusionSolution $250.55

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

SST Christmas censorship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Ukraine Locutus76 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5698

Locutus76 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Locutus76's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:10 am   Post subject: SST Christmas censorship Reply with quote

It is with a heavy heart that I write this forum post. Usually I'm not one for posting messages, but I feel this needs to be said.

The topic? The recent decision to ban us from requesting music from christmas themed movies all throughout the year, except for december. I feel this is a very very bad decision, probably because I don't understand the reasons for it.

Some years ago there was a huge discussion about the F13 album, which for years was played on a daily basis by one user, despite many people hating the album. It was finally decided that it had to be banned, because it was simply requested too often and too abusively by that one user to be considered 'fair use'.

But now, all of a sudden and without any discussion that I could locate here on the forum, most of the christmas themed music is suddenly gone. Just like that. And why? I don't know. Is the music that awful? I doubt it, as many people have christmas tracks in their favs and like to listen to it during the 'holiday season'. So what makes it so unbearable outside of december? Is the music so different when you hear it a few times in April or September? It is by no means comparable to the merciless requesting of F13. And no one can honestly say it sounds so awful when heard outside of december.

And what does it mean for other music? Are we going to ban Max Steiner's A Summer Place now that it's Autumn? Do we do the same for Carpenter's Halloween Score? Will all Star Trek albums be forbidden until the year 2264? Do we take down all the songs that are not actually scores, but popmusic like Pink Floyd's Us and Them? Will Passion of the Christ be next because it's Easter music?

I feel this is a very slippery slope, or rather just plain censorship. I myself like the cheerful sound of a nice piece of christmas music every once in a while. It is not disruptive, excessive or aggravating in any way, or else we wouldnt be able to enjoy it in December, now would we? Banning it is wrong. Why not ban Bollywood either, since I don't like to listen to it? Because some people do like it. And they should be able to enjoy it. What makes christmas music so different then? I don't know. I just think it's wrong.

In fact, so wrong that I feel I must do something. So aside from writing this particular forum post (which may very well be deleted for being too disruptive), I have decided to leave SST for now. I simply can't stand the idea that the freedom of choice, which Americans hold so dearly, should ever be limited to a single season.

I have enjoyed my time here on SST. I've met many wonderful people, and listened to thousands of wonderful (and less) wonderful scores. But as they say, all good things must come to an end. Sadly, this is how it ends.

I wish you all the best.

Loc
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 1:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d be in favour of banning Christmas music from SAM’s reach (outside of December) and leaving it as requestable all year long for members (if it’s doable).

BTW: My nickname has staff color here but this post is my personal 2 cents, nothing more.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Locutus76 on this. I don't understand the problem that this is attempting to solve. (Feel free to educate me if you know.)

If there actually is a problem then I support molossus' suggestion for banning only SAM from picking Christmas music outside of the approved time.

(Now we're up to 4 cents, I guess.)

jeff
sdg
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Molossus' idea. SAM favors tracks after they have not been played for 6 months giving us "Christmas in July". IF it CAN be done, block Christmas from SAM but leave it open for us.

With 20 years here, I have never seen Christmas music abused. Sometimes there are complaints with selections of Christmas music in the summer but never abuse. This is not like F13 tracks.
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be fine with blocking SAM from requesting Christmas music if possible and leaving it open to the rest of the listeners.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5692

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 3:11 am   Post subject: Re: SST Christmas censorship Reply with quote

Locutus76 wrote:
The recent decision to ban us from requesting music from christmas themed movies all throughout the year, except for december.

Wait, there was a decision to ban us from requesting Christmas music outside of December? When did that happen and where is / was the announcement to inform all the users?

Aside from that I fully agree with Locutus point of view and I also like the proposed solution, if implementable. In case this is not possible, I would be in favor of undoing the ban or perhaps we can put it up for community vote?

@Locutus76 - I am very sorry to hear you will not be around, I know I haven't been around much myself but I will miss you! I sincerely hope this not the end and that you will be able to re-join us very soon Smile
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyez, oyez, oyez!
Ban on requesting holiday music outside of December has just been lifted. Members (and SAM!) can request Christmas music (and other holiday music) all year long again. But for SAM it has been made a bit more difficult compared to an SST member to make sure such a request by SAM is a rare thing now.

@Locutus76: I hope there's a chance of you showing up at SST again now... That would be great.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Ukraine Locutus76 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5698

Locutus76 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Locutus76's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 1:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
Oyez, oyez, oyez!
@Locutus76: I hope there's a chance of you showing up at SST again now... That would be great.

That's great news. To quote Independence Day's Russell: "Hello Boys, I'm Back!"
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: